Founder of the IBVM – Mary Ward
The Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded by Mary Ward, an English woman
in the year 1609. She founded the Institute for the propagation and strengthening
of the Faith, especially through the Education of girls. In 1909 Pope St. Pius X
recognized her as the foundress of the Institute and forty-two years later, Pius
XII did the great honour of naming her as “the outstanding pioneer of the lay apostolate
among women”.In 2009, Pope Benedict XVI declared her “Venerable Mary Ward” the first
stage towards publicly declaring her a Saint of the Catholic Church.
Loreto – Ireland: Teresa Ball
The Irish Branch of the Institute was founded by Frances Teresa Ball at Rathfarnham
on November 4, 1822, and the Convent was named ‘Loreto House’.
Loreto – India: Delphine Hart
In 1841, Mother Teresa Ball sent seven Loreto Sisters and five Postulants, all in
their twenties, under the leadership of Delphine Hart to India. They were welcomed
at Calcutta by Bishop Carew and installed at Loreto House, 7, Middleton Row. They
were the first Congregation of Sisters to come to North India.