Loreto Convent School was founded on May 10th 1909 starting with 23-day students and 3 boarders. In 2009, Loreto Convent,Shillong celebrated 100 years of its dedicated service to children of the region and society at large.
The School is a catholic Institution under the management of the Sisters of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary (IBVM) known as Loreto Sisters. It was founded by an English woman, Mary Ward (1585-1645) in the 17th century.
In 1821 Teresa Ball established the first House of the Institute in Ireland and called it Loreto, the name by which all the subsequent foundations made from Ireland are still known. In 1841, Loreto Sisters under the leadership of Delphine Hart came to India. This Religious Order is now spread throughout the world and engages itself in many works, especially the education of girls.
Loreto Convent is owned by the Loreto Educational Society Shillong, a body registered under the Registrar of Societies Registrations Act XXI of 1860.
Today, the school continues to strive in its journey towards perfection.